• Culture Coaticook
  • Société d'histoire
  • Pavillon des arts
  • Musée Beaulne
  • Harmonie
  • Coatic'Art
  • Bibliothèque

Le Courant

Fall 2009 | 11

In this issue


Angèle Gosselin, Serge Gosselin
The village of Stanhope (port of entry to Norton, Vt.) can be seen (co-ordinates 45 007"71 48) near the western bank of the Coaticook River, about 40 kilometers from Sherbrooke. This village was first known Boundary Line. A particular feature of Stanhope is the fact that the village territory is...



Randy Yates
The Jenks family of Coaticook, can trace their origins as far back as the middle of the sixteenth century. Joseph Jenks Sr. was born in England in 1602, and immigrated to America, as an iron worker. He founded the first American iron works at Saugus, Massachusetts which made domestic utensils such...


Dance Halls

Laurette Labbé Dupont, Jean-Maurice Dumoulin
The local dance halls were a rite of passage for many of our seniors. Many of their wedding receptions were held in places and fifty years later couples would return to the same places to celebrate their 50th wedding anniversaries. This was a social gathering place for showers, wedding receptions,...


The MRC of Coaticook inventory of their agricultural heritage

Shirley Lavertu
The MRC of Coaticook decided to take an inventory of their agricultural heritage in 2006. As a result, 183 buildings and sites of interest were identified. Throughout the varied process of the project, the MRC had the corroboration of a firm which specialized in heritage: Patri-Arch. The...


Matthew Henry Cochrane

Sylviane Ferland
Matthew Cochrane was born in Compton on November 11, 1823. His parents were Mary Lynch and James Cochrane, a farmer of Irish origin. Matthew was the fourth member of a family made up of four children. Mr. Cochrane married Cynthia Mary Whitney in 1849 and they went on to have ten children. His...


Dixville Home inc. celebrates it's 50th anniversary

The town of Dixville, situated in the country of Stanstead and the district of St-Francis, was originally known as Drew' Mills, named after a settler, who the early 1800s, had built a saw mill at this location on the Coaticook River. Shortly before the turn of the century, it was re-named...


Le Courant

Le Courant is published by the Society every year. Society's members, professional and amateur historian shared with the readers results of their searches. Articles are available in English and French. This publication received generous support from local sponsors that the Society wishes to thank with all it's gratitude.


Coaticook Historical Society

34 Main Stree East
Coaticook, Québec
(819) 849-1023

Opening Hours
Please call in advance of your visit to verify open hours.

Closed : Monday • Saturday • Sunday and public holidays
Entrance Fees : Free


Over 23,000 pictures from our weekly newspaper Le Progrès.
Copies of The Coaticook Observer 1928-1938 complete plus others of different dates.
Copies of the newspaper L'Etoile de l'Est from 1928 to 1938 (complete) and others bearing differents dates.
Copies of our weekly newspaper Le Progrès de Coaticook from 1971 to 2003.

Approximate number of objects in the collections: 23000

Research Services

We can find persons having stayed in our region or find the origin of certain houses or buildings.

Archival Records • Conservation or Restoration • Information Centre • Library
Other: Pictures researches by themes or newspaper clips related.
genealogy information

Thanks to our partners for their financial support